Jan 27, 2022
God's deliverance of His people form Egypt was a form of spiritual warfare; and today as we look at Exodus 7 we'll discuss how Satan tried to confuse Pharaoh and the Egyptians back then, and how he's doing the same kinds of things today. And to be strong in the face of spiritual warfare, we need to be on guard and have pure faith and trust in God.
DISCUSSION AND THOUGHT QUESTIONS:
1. For the past several days, we have been studying the Book of Exodus, however, we haven’t discussed what the name means. What does the name “Exodus” mean and what was the “exit” that it is referring to? What was the initial reason that this Exodus was to take place?
2. The podcast gave a quick review of Exodus 6 & 7. What was Pharoah’s first response to Moses in Exodus 5:2? How did the Jews respond to Moses in Exodus 5:21? Was Moses receiving this flack from these people because he was obeying God or disobeying Him? How did Moses respond in Exodus 5:22? How did the Lord respond to Moses in Exodus 6:1 and following? How do you think you might have reacted to Pharaoh and the people if they responded this way to you?
3. What did God warn Moses about in Exodus 7:3-5? In what ways did this come true?
4. In Exodus 7, how were the Egyptian magicians able to counterfeit the miracles of God? The podcast mentions that Moses and Aaron’s age help us answer the question about magic tricks. What was the point that the podcast made about the true source of Moses and Aaron’s miracles?
5. The podcast mentioned that the 10 Plagues are excellent examples of spiritual warfare because often Satan seeks to confuse the situation. How did Satan confuse these first plagues and how did Pharaoh and his servants respond? How do people today respond similarly to these kinds of attempts at confusion in their lives?
6. Strength and courage often comes from a strong sense of obedience to God and anticipation that He will work. What commands was Moses obeying in this passage and how was he anticipating the Lord to work? In your day today, are there clear commands from scripture that relate to what you will likely encounter? How might the Lord work in those situations?
7. The podcast mentioned that these plagues all were assaults on the Egyptian false gods. Why did the Jews need to see God’s power over Egypt’s false gods? What does this show us about God’s care and compassion for His people, even when they are struggling in the faith?
8. The podcast mentioned that Hapi was the god of the Nile and fertility. Also, Khnum was the god of the Nile. The Nile was supposed to produce life, but what did it produce instead? How does this show the Lord’s power over Hapi, Khnum and also Osiris (who supposedly had the Nile flowing in his bloodstream)?
9. The magicians could turn water into “blood” but could not turn it back. How did this fact demonstrate the reality of Moses’ miracles versus the fakery of the magicians?
10. The podcast suggested that the world creates all kinds of fake fantasies to compete with the truth of God. How do people sometimes look at the world’s fantasy and think it’s more appealing than God’s actual truth?
11. Through these miracles, the Lord was calling His people to leave Egypt and not be entangled in their religions. Along these lines, how do His people get entangled in the world today? What is God’s call for them today?
12. Although we may not often see God work in such dramatic ways, He does still work in our lives. How have you seen God work in your life? How should that galvanize your own commitment to Him?
The Key Chapters Bible Podcast is a daily, 15ish minute podcast that goes over the key chapters of the Bible, one per day, explaining how it fits into the overall message of God and how it relates to our lives now. Jump in today or start back in Genesis 1!
To see our dedicated podcast website with access to all our episodes and other resources, visit us at: www.keychapters.org.
Available on all major podcast platforms, and now on YouTube.
As always, we are grateful to be included in the "Top 40 Bible Podcasts to Follow" from Feedspot.com.
Also for regularly being awarded "Podcast of the Day" from PlayerFM.
Special thanks to Joseph McDade for providing our theme music.